St Edward's School
St Edward's was founded in central Oxford in 1863 and moved to its current site in the city's villa-lined northern outskirts in 1873. The school's new cricket pavilion is the simplest of compositions with the advantage of formal clarity from every aspect: two clearly legible horizontal elements, plinth and roof, elevated on a grassy mound to improve the angle of view to the pitch.
Cantilevered overhangs focus the eye forward, screening the light and providing shelter in inclement weather. Given the spare nature of the overall form, the use of marble for the roof and plinth edges becomes a significant gesture, adding a little material richness and setting up a defining dialogue with the vertical oak panels cladding the walls.